Monday, September 10, 2012

What Makes A Good Blog?

     I recently created my first blog (permecaecivident.blogspot.com). It seemed pretty simple at first, but as I researched blogs and received feedback from peers about my blog I realized that there are guidelines and parameters for creating and maintaining a blog. Initially you must have a purpose; your reason for creating a blog. The purpose for my blog is to display different forms of writing.

     The audience is another factor in creating a blog. Who do you want to read your blog? In my case, I wanted student peers to be my audience. This audience would understand the purpose of my blog. Being that blogs are open to other Internet users, it is possible for the core audience to grow if others are interested in following my post.

     What attracts individuals to your blog is the design. Color schemes, pictures, titles, and overall look of your blog can be the key to lure readers. There are many options for designing a blog. Incorporating images is one way to design the background of the blog. The blog post can have a totally different background. In my experience, I believe it is best to use a solid color for the background of the text. This leaves no distractions when viewers read your post. I think that it is a good idea to have a profile photo. It does not have to be your own image. Having a profile photo personalizes the blog. I initially started my blog with an all-black and white color scheme. With suggestions from my peers, I found that adding color made the blog more inviting.

     My own creativity and the suggestions of my peers have helped me create a blog that is satisfying to me. I am still a beginner at blogging. As I continue my journey in the realm of blogging, I hope to continue to gain more tips on purpose, design, and content and use them effectively.

     Considering that this is my first blog, it was challenging critiquing blogs created by my peers. Some of my peers seem to have already had experience creating blogs. I felt that there was very little help I could offer.

     Emily (insidetheframe1.blogspot.com)  was one of my peers who seem to have been using a blog for quite some time. The purpose for her blog is clearly stated by name and through content. By viewing her blog, it was a model of how many different avenues of approach you could take in designing a blog.

       Viewing Brien’s (wordsworthamillion.blogspot.com)  blog inspired me to use a background image for my blog. I found his blog to be full, but not cluttered. The tools provided on the blog made it easy to navigate. The highlights of Brien’s blog are the images. The photos used to design the blog presents a sense of user friendliness.

     Many of the blogs created by my peers were very creative. One of my favorite blogs to view was created by Denise (hottalkfromthedesert.blogspot.com). I find the appearance of the blog to be great. It is not as flamboyant as some of the blogs I viewed, but it is just right for the purpose in which it was created for. The content was most intriguing to me. Denise displays well written content pertaining to the blogs purpose.

     Creating a blog has been quite an experience. I am fortunate to have had a diverse group of people to share this experience with. By creating a blog simultaneously with my peers allowed us to analyze blogs and offer suggestions to support our development as a whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment